Rescue operation for the river dolphins in Lake Tefé in the Amazon

River dolphins rescue Lago Tefé Brazil Inia geoffrensis Sotalia fluviatilis

In the central Brazilian Amazon, a dramatic mass extinction of river dolphins is currently taking place. Dr. Miriam Marmontel, an experienced researcher at the Instituto de Desenvolvimento Sustentável Mamirauá, points out the seriousness of the situation: "We counted 130 dead dolphins in the last week alone." About 80% of them are the typical Amazon dolphins (Inia geoffrensis), the remaining 20% are Tucuxi dolphins (Sotalia fluviatilis). In total, this corresponds to about 10% of the known population in Lake Tefé. "Such a high percentage of losses in the Amazon dolphin is alarming. If these numbers escalate, we could be dealing with a possible extinction of the species in Lake Tefé," warns Dr. Marmontel. She leads the research into the causes in Brazil and takes important steps to protect the surviving animals, many of whom are in dire need.
But this cannot be done alone, but only in cooperation with others.

In this urgent matter, YAQU PACHA, together with our partners, is supporting Dr. Marmontel and her team to save the remaining river dolphins and conduct a comprehensive scientific investigation into the causes of this tragic mass extinction. The alarmingly high mortality rate is currently attributed to rising water temperatures, which have reached an alarming 40 degrees Celsius in some areas.

River dolphins Lago Tefé threat rescue Inia geoffrensis Sotalia fluviatilis dead river dolphins Amazon

YAQU PACHA, in collaboration with the National Marine Mammal Foundation (NMMF) and Nuremberg Zoo, has developed an emergency plan to support Dr. Marmontel and her team in their efforts to save the remaining river dolphins and conduct a comprehensive scientific investigation into the causes of these tragic deaths. It is important to emphasize that this emergency plan is a joint effort supported by a variety of institutions, including YAQU PACHA, the National Marine Mammal Foundation (NMMF), Nuremberg Zoo, ZOOMARINE Portugal, L'Oceanografic Valencia, Planète Sauvage, LORO PARQUE Fundación, the Verein der Tiergartenfreunde Nürnberg e.V., the European Association for Aquatic Mammals (EAAM), Fundación MUNDO MARINO , Argentina and Rancho Texas.
All of these organizations have come together to support this vital rescue effort by jointly providing critical funding and sending qualified veterinarians from the U.S. and European zoos. Our joint efforts also include the coordination of veterinary care on site.

The survival of the remaining river dolphins (Inia geoffrensis and Sotalia fluviatilis) is acutely threatened and they urgently need our help to maintain the population in Lago Tefé.

We kindly ask you to support us in this important task with a donation . Your contribution will be crucial in saving the lives of these dolphins.

Donation account:

Account holder: YAQU PACHA e.V.
IBAN: DE91 7605 0101 0001 1416 38
Bank details: Sparkasse Nürnberg
Purpose: Donation Rescue Tefe River Dolphins

Map Map Lago Tefé Brazil Amazon

Project Amazon Dolphin | Manatee | Team Latin America | Environmental Education